The influence of HDBA organic complex with vitamin D and calcium on quality of life in individuals at high risk of fractures undergoing medical rehabilitation
1 Marchenkova L.A., 1 Makarova E.V., 1 Vasileva V.A.
1 National Medical Research Center of Rehabilitation and Balneology, Moscow, Russian Federation
The aim of the study is to evaluate the effect of the biologically active food supplement «Osteomed Forte» on pain intensityand quality of life in patients with high risk of fractures undergoing medical rehabilitation.Materials and methods: Included men and women 40–80 years old, with high risk of fractures. Patients who had alreadytaken antiresorbents were identified in group № 1 – they were assigned the investigated product (IP): biologically activefood supplement «Osteomed Forte». Patients who had not received antiresorption therapy were divided into two equalgroups by simple randomization. Group № 2 was assigned to IP. T here were no IPs in group № 3. All the subjects were conducted:1. Pain Assessment Score (PAS); 2. Quality of Life Assessment (QUALEFFO‑41). The examination was repeated immediatelyafter the rehabilitation course as well as after 6 and 12 months.Results: The study enrolled 120 people (group № 1 n=41, group № 2 n=39, group № 3 n=39): 10 men, 110 women, averageage 65.51±7.92 years. After a course of rehabilitation in all groups, PAS was significantly reduced (2.7, 3.0, 3.5 points,respectively, p<0.01), and the QUALEFFO‑41 scores improved on all scales (p<0.05). This trend continued after 6 months.After 12 months, a significantly lower PAS was in group № 1 (4.0 as compared to 6.2 and 6.4 points, p<0.05). In group № 1,QUALEFFO‑41 indices were significantly better than the initial ones (p<0,05) and higher than in groups № 2 and 3 «Pain»,«Housework», «Mobility», «General Health», «Mental Health», «General Indicator» (p<0,05).Conclusion: In patients with a high risk of fractures, the course of medical rehabilitation improved the physical and mentalcomponents of QOL and reduced the pain syndrome. In patients who took IP as a basic therapy, the achieved effectwas maintained after 3, 6, 12 months. In 1 year after the rehabilitation course, the groups receiving IP and antiresorptiontherapy had better QOL parameters, lower PAS and better bone metabolism indices.
Keywords: osteoporosis, quality of life, antiresorption therapy, vitamin D, calcium citrate, rehabilitation, compression spinal fractures.
For citation: Marchenkova L.A., Makarova E.V., Vasileva V.A. The influence of HDBA organic complex with vitamin D and calcium on quality of life in individuals at high risk of fractures undergoing medical rehabilitation. Bulletin of rehabilitation medicine. 2020; 97 (3): 153-159. https://doi.org/10.38025/2078-1962-2020-97-3-153-159
- Carr A, Higginson I, Robinson PG. Quality of Life. BMJ Books. 2003; V.13: 139 p.
- Anderson K.L., Burckhardt C.S. Conceptualization and measurement of quality of life as an outcome variable for health care intervention and research. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1999; 29: 298-306. PubMed: 10197928
- Ivanova G.E., Trukhanov A.I. Global'nye perspektivy razvitiya medicinskoj reabilitacii [Global prospects for the development of medical rehabilitation]. Vestnik vosstanovitel'noj mediciny. 2017; 6 (82): 2-6 (In Russ.).
- Kuzyakina A.S., Kupreychick V.L., Bogatirev A.D., Anastasevich O.A., Lutsky L., Treger I. Medicinskaya reabilitaciya v ramkah dnevnogo stacionara. Obzor literatury [Outpatient medical rehabilitation. A review]. Vestnik vosstanovitel'noj mediciny. 2017; 6 (82), p. 21-27 (In Russ.).
- Van Dyck D, Teychenne M, McNaughton SA, De Bourdeaudhuij I, Salmon J. Relationship of the perceived social and physical environment with mental health-related quality of life in middle-aged and older adults: mediating effects of physical activity. PLOS One. 2015; 10(3): e0120475
- Lozovskaya M.E., Osipova M.A., Suslova G.A., Karasev G.G., Vlasova E.Y. Svyaz' sanatornoj reabilitacii i kachestva zhizni u podrostkov s tuberkulezom [Relation between sanatorium rehabilitation and quality of life in adolescents with tuberculosis]. Vestnik vosstanovitel'noj mediciny. 2019; 4(92): 2-7(In Russ.).
- Kanis, J.A., Harvey, N.C., McCloskey, E. et al. Algorithm for the management of patients at low, high and very high risk of osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporosis International. 2020; 31: 1-12 DOI:10.1007/s00198-019-05176-3
- Lesnyak O.M., Baranova I.A., Belova K.Yu., Gladkova E.N., Evstigneeva L.P., Ershova O.B., Karonova T.L., Kochish A.Yu., Nikitinskaya O.A., Skripnikova I.A., Toropcova N.V., Aramisova R.M.. Osteoporoz v Rossijskoj Federacii: epidemiologiya, mediko-social'nye i ekonomicheskie aspekty problemy (obzor literatury) [Osteoporosis in Russian Federation: epidemiology, medico-social and economic aspects of the problem (a review)]. Travmatologiya i orto-pediya Rossii. 2018; 1 (In Russ.).
- Dimitriou R, Calori GM, Giannoudis PV. Improving Patients ’Outcomes After Osteoporotic Fractures. International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology. 2012; 7(1): 109-124
- Malakhov S.V., Zaitsev V.P. Metodika ocenki sub"ektivnogo kachestva zhizni bol'nyh oftal'mologicheskimi zabolevaniyami [Methodology of estimation of subjective quality of life of patients with ophthalmological diseases]. Vestnik vosstanovitel'noj mediciny. 2018; 1(83): 86-91 (In Russ.).
- Marchenkova L.A., Prokhorova E.A., Dreval’ A.V., Polyakova E.Yu., Petukhova N.Yu.Vishnyakova M.V. Vliyanie postmenopauzal'nogo osteoporoza i subklinicheskih kompressionnyh perelomov pozvonkov na kachestvo zhizni zhenshchin v postmenopauze [The influence of postmenopausal osteoporosis and subclinical verte-bral fractures on postmenopausal women's quality of life]. Al'manah klinicheskoi mediciny. 2014; 32: 43-49 (In Russ.).
- Barcenilla-Wong A.L., Chen J.S., Cross M.J., March L.M. The Impact of Fracture Incidence on Health Related Quality of Life among Community-Based Postmenopausal Women. Hindawi Publishing Corporation. Journal of Osteoporosis. Vol. 2015; 8 p. Article ID 717914 DOI:10.1155/2015/717914
- Svedbom A, Borgstom F, Hernlund E, et al. Quality of life for up to 18 months after low-energy hip, vertebral, and distal forearm fractures—results from the ICUROS. Osteoporosis International. 2018; 29(3): 557-566. DOI:10.1007/s00198-017-4317-4
- Morris M.E. Preventing falls in older people. The BMJ. 2012; 345: e4919. DOI:10.1136/bmj.e4919
- Oliver D., Daly F., Martin F.C., et al. Risk factors and risk assessment tools for falls in hospital in-patients: a systematic review. Age and Ageing. 2004; 33: 122-130. DOI:10.1093/ageing/ afh017
- Burton E., Lewin G., O’Connell H., Hill K.D. Falls prevention in community care: 10 years on. Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2018; 13: 261-269. Published on-line 2018 Feb 12. DOI:10.2147/CIA
- Haines T., Kuys S.S., Morrison G., et al. Balance impairment not predictive of falls in geriatric rehabilitation wards. The Journals of Gerontology Series A Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences. 2008; 63: 523-528. DOI: 10.1093/ gerona/63.5.523
- Mel'nichenko G.A., Belaya Zh.E., Rozhinskaya L.Ya., Toroptsova N.V., Alekseeva L.I., Biryukova E.V., Grebennikova T.A., Dzeranova L.K., Dreval’ A.V., Zagorodniy N.V., Il’in A.V., Kryukova I.V., Lesnyak O.M., Mamedova E.O., Nikitinskaya O.A., Pigarova E.A., Rodionova S.S., Skripnikova I.A., Tarbaeva N.V., Farba L.Ya., Tsoriev T.T., Chernova T.O., Yureneva S.V., Yakushevskaya O.V., Dedov I.I.. Federal'nye klinicheskie rekomendacii po diagnostike, lecheniyu i profilaktike osteoporoza [Russian federal clinical guidelines on the diagnostics, treatment, and prevention of osteoporosis]. Problemy endokrinologii. 2017; 63(6): 392-426 (In Russ.).
- Marchenkova L.A., Makarova E.V., Vasilieva V.A., Eryomushkin M.A., Styazkina E.M., Razvalyaeva D.V., Gerasimenko M.Yu. Vliyanie bazovoj terapii kal'ciem i vitaminami D3 i V6 na myshechnuyu silu, funkcii dvizheniya i balansa u pacientov s osteoporozom, prohodivshih medicinskuyu reabilitaciyu [The effect of basic therapy with calcium and vitamins D3 and В6 on muscle strength, movement and balance functions at patients with osteoporosis un-dergoing medical rehabilitation]. Voprosy kurortologii, fi-zioterapii i lechebnoj fizicheskoj kul'tury. 2020; 97(1): 25-34. (In Russ.). doi.org/10.17116/ kurort20209701125
- Prokhorov M., Kislov A., Elistratov D., Strukov V., Kuptsova T., Nikanova E., Tyuganov S., Tarhanova K. Vliyanie osteomeda na konsolidaciyu perelomov kostej [Influence of osteomed on consolidation of bone fractures]. Vrach. 2016; 2: 68-69 (In Russ.).
- Strukov V.I., Katyushina Y.G., Eremina N.V., Filippova O.V. Osteomed - effektivnyj regulyator mineral'noj plotnosti kostej i zakrytiya polostnyh obra-zovanij pri lechenii presenil'nogo i senil'nogo osteoporoza [Osteomed is an effective regulator of mineral bone density and closing of cavity for treatment of presenil and senile osteoporosis]. Poliklinika. 2013; 1-1: 90-91(In Russ.).
- Strukov V., Elistratov D., Balykova L., Akhmadeeva E., Kurashvili L., Sergeeva-Kondrachenko M., Usanov D., Filippova O., Galeeva R., Dolgushkina G., Astafyeva A. Vliyanie osteomeda forte na gormonal'nyj status i techenie osteoporoza u zhenshchin s deficitom androgenov v postmenopauze [Effect of osteomed forte on hormonal status and course of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women with androgen deficiency]. Vrach. 2015; 3: 28-32(In Russ.).
The content is available under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.