Regional Organization of the Rehabilitation Service in Coronavirus Epidemic
1 Iuly Treger, 2 Lena Lutsky Treger
1 Medical University Center Soroka, Beer Sheva, Israel
2 South Department Clalit Medical Services, Beer Sheva, Israel
The COVID-19 pandemics has dramatically changed the organization of public rehabilitation services around the world. Rehabilitationmanagers and doctors have faced different challenges at all stages of patient management from acute departments to home, especiallyin the periphery of the country.Aim. To analyze and present the regional experience of rehabilitation system reorganization during pandemics.Materials and methods. The Southern region of Israel is a big part of the country with about one million of population. The PhysicalMedicine and Rehabilitation department at the Soroka University Hospital is a part of the regional rehabilitation network, and wasforced to find optimal solutions to all kinds of organizational challenges from the first days of the crisis. Most of those solutions, which,in our opinion, showed their effectiveness in managing our patients in this confused situation are presented and discussed in thearticle.Results. COVID-19 pandemics crisis had mostly a negative input on the whole system organization. The normal regular flow of multistagerehabilitation process was interrupted, serious part of professional staff was out of system due to quarantine and pandemicrestrictions. The whole system was forced to change the management algorithms very quickly, sometimes as an immediate responseto everyday changes.However, some changes that have occurred in response to the changed conditions may have a positive impact on the work of therehabilitation system in the future and will also be discussed in the article.Conclusion. Our regional professional situation, of sure, is a combination of local rehabilitation organization and characteristics ofIsraeli health system, and from that point of view it is quite unique. But the problems of periphery are almost the same in every countryso our local experience can help professionals in other regions.
Keywords: medical rehabilitation, regional organization of rehabilitation service, coronavirus infection
For citation: Treger I., Treger L.L. Regional Organization of the Rehabilitation Service in Coronavirus Epidemic. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2021; 20(1): 13-20. https://doi.org/10.38025/2078-1962-2021-20-1-13-20
- Kakodkar P., Kaka N., Baig M.N. A comprehensive literature review on the clinical presentation, and management of the pandemic coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Cureus Journal of Medical Science. 2020; 12(4): e7560. https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.7560
- Stam H., Stucki G., Birkenbacher J. Covid-19 and Post Intensive Care Syndrome: A Call for Action. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020; (52): jrm00044.
- Shmonin A.A., Maltseva M.N., Melnikova E.V., Mishina I.E., Ivanova G.E. Medicinskaya Reabilitaciya pri Koronavirusnoj Infekcii: Novye Zadachi dlya Fizicheskoj i Reabilitacionnoj Mediciny v Rossii [Medical Rehabilitation for Coronavirus Infection: New Challenges for Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine in Russia]. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020; 97(3): 14-21. https://doi.org/10.38025/ 2078-1962-2020-97-3-14-21 (In Russ.).
- Lew H.L., Oh-Park M., Cifu D.X. The War on COVID-19 Pandemic: Role of Rehabilitation Professionals and Hospitals. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1097/PHM.0000000000001460
- Fesyun A.D., Lobanov A.A., Rachin A.P., Yakovlev M.Yu., Andronov S.V., Konchugova T.V., Gilmutdinova I.R., Barashkov G.N., Mitroshkina E.E., Bogdanova E.N., Lebedev Ya.O., Nikitina A.M. Vyzovy i podhody k medicinskoj reabilitacii pacientov, perenesshih oslozhneniya Covid-19 [Challenges and approaches to medical rehabilitation of patients with Covid-19 complications]. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020; 97(3): 3-13. https://doi.org/10.38025/ 2078-1962-2020-97-3-3-13 (In Russ.). ТРЕГЕР Ю. И дР. | ОРИГИНАЛьНАЯ СТАТьЯ
- Lutsky L., Friedman A., Treger I. Rehabilitation during the COVID-19 Crisis: A View from the Periphery. Journal of Clinical Immunology & Immunotherapy. 2020; (6): 028. https://doi.org/10.24966/CIIT-8844/1000028
- Negrini S., Ferriero G., Kiekens C., Boldrini P. Facing in real time the challenges of the Covid-19 epidemic for rehabilitation. European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020.
- Sheehy L.M. Considerations for Post-acute Rehabilitation for Survivors of COVID-19. JMIR Public Health and Surveillance. 2020. https://doi. org/10.2196/19462
- Ceravolo M.G., De Sire A., Andrenelli E., Negrini F., Negrini S. Systematic rapid “living” review on rehabilitation needs due to covid-19: update to march 31st 2020. European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020. https://doi.org/10.23736/S1973-9087.20.06329-7
- Carda S., Invernizzi M., Bavikatte G., Bensmail D., Bianchi F., Deltombe T., Draulans N., Esquenazi A., Francisco G.E., Gross R., Jacinto L.J., Perez S.M., O’Dell M.W., Reebye R., Verduzco-Gutierrez M., Wissel J., Molteni F. The role of physical and rehabilitation medicine in the COVID-19 pandemic: the clinician’s view. Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rehab.2020.04.001
- Boldrini P., Kiekens C., Bargellesi S., Brianti R., Galeri S., Lucca L. First impact on services and their preparation. “Instant paper from the field” on rehabilitation answers to the Covid-19 emergency. European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020.
- Brugliera L., Spina A., Castellazzi P., Cimino P., Tettamanti A., Houdayer E., Arcuri P., Alemanno F., Mortini P., Iannaccone S. Rehabilitation of COVID-19 patients. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020; 52(4): jrm00046. https://doi.org/10.2340/16501977-2678
- Boldrini P., Bernetti A., Fiore P. Impact of COVID-19 outbreak on rehabilitation services and Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (PRM) physicians’ activities in Italy. An official document of the Italian PRM Society (SIMFER). European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020. https://doi. org/10.23736/S1973-9087.20.06256-5
- Choon-Huat Koh G., Hoenig H. How Should the Rehabilitation Community Prepare for 2019-nCoV? Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2020.03.003
- Treger I., Lutsky Treger L., Friedman A. Organization of acute patients’ transfer to rehabilitation services during COVID-19 crisis. European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020; (56): 366. https://doi.org/10.23736/S1973- 9087.20.06324-8
- Lutsky L., Treger I. Ocenka kachestva medicinskoj reabilitacii [Quality Assessment in Medical Rehabilitation]. Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Medical Rehabilitation, 2020; 2(1): 38-48. https://doi.org/10.36425/rehab19266 (In Russ.).
- Bin Nun G. Private health insurance policies in Israel: a report on the 2012 Dead Sea Conference. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research. 2013; (2): 25 p.
- Rosen B.M.S. Israel: Health system review Health Systems in Transition Copenhagen. European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies. Denmark. 2009.
- Treger I., Lutsky L. Ambulatornaya Reabilitaciya (Obzor literatury i Izrail’skij opyt) [Outpatient Rehabilitation (Literature Review and the Israeli Experience)]. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2014; 5(63): 95-100 (In Russ.).