Physical Factors in the Medical Rehabilitation of Children with Spinal Osteochondropathies
1 Evgeny M. Talkovsky, 2,3 Dmitry Y. Vybornov, 2 Nikolay I. Tarasov, 2 Vladimir V. Koroteev, 4 Vladislav F. Prikuls
1 Moscow Scientific Practical Center for Medical Rehabilitation, Restorative and Sports Medicine, Moscow, Russian Federation
2 Filatov Children’s City Clinical Hospital, Moscow, Russian Federation
3 Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University, Moscow, Russian Federation
4 Moscow Regional Research Clinical Institute named after M.F. Vladimirsky, Moscow, Russian Federation
AIM. To conduct a targeted search for scientific literature sources aimed at compiling a review of data on the use of physical factors inthe medical rehabilitation of children suffering from spinal osteochondropathies.One of the most urgent and socially significant problems of modern medicine is the wide prevalence of orthopedic pathology, amongwhich the leading positions are occupied by diseases of the spine. In the population of children and adolescents, there has been arecent steady increase in pain syndromes of a vertebrogenic nature, leading to a violation of physical functioning. According to variouspopulation studies, the prevalence of this nosological form among the child population ranges from 0.42 to 37%. The prevalenceof Sheyerman-Mau disease in the general population of children and adolescents ranges from 0.4-8.3%. This pathology is the mostcommon among all osteochondropathies of childhood. To date, the etiology of spinal osteochondropathy is still unclear. Due to theasymptomatic course, the disease is not always diagnosed at the early stages of development which creates certain difficulties indiagnosing and prescribing effective treatment of the disease. Medical rehabilitation of children with spinal osteochondropathies isaimed at preventing further progression of deformity, improving posture, respiratory function and cardiovascular system and includes:rational motor mode and nutrition, general strengthening and hardening procedures, conservative orthopedic measures (wearing acorset, staying in a plaster bed), active correction of deformity (kinesotherapy), hydrokinesotherapy, massage, passive correction ofdeformity (treatment with position), physiotherapy (electrical muscle stimulation), sports (skiing, swimming). A special place in thereview is given to the presentation of the stages of medical rehabilitation of children with dorsalgia and adolescents who have undergonesurgical treatment for spinal osteochondropathies.
CONCLUSION. When prescribing a personalized program of medical rehabilitation for children suffering from spinal osteochondropathies,the maximum positive dynamics of the course of the disease is achieved, which leads to an improvement in the quality of lifeand a decrease in disability among the children’s population. The developed programs of medical rehabilitation of children will reducethe socio-economic losses from vertebrogenic pathology and will contribute to strengthening the health of the younger generationsof Russia.
Keywords: spinal osteochondropathies, children, medical rehabilitation, electrotherapy, kinesotherapy, corsetotherapy, PNF, sanatorium-resort treatment
Acknowledgments: The study had no sponsorship
Conflict of interest:: The authors declare no apparent or potential conflicts of interest related to the publication of this article
For citation: Talkovsky E.M., D.Y. Vybornov, Tarasov N.I., Koroteev V.V., Prikuls V.F. Physical Factors in the Medical Rehabilitation of Children with Spinal Osteochondropathies. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2021; 20 (4): 82-89. https://doi.org/10.38025/2078-1962-2021-20-4-82-89
For correspondence: Evgeny M. Talkovsky, e-mail: email@example.com
- Mironov S.P., Agranovich O.Ye., Aranovich A.M. Travmatologiya i ortopediya detskogo vozrasta. Seriya «Klinicheskiye rekomendatsii» [Traumatology and orthopedics of childhood, ed. by S. P. Mironov. The series “Clinical recommendations]. M. GEOTAR- Media. 2019: 428 p. (In Russ.).
- Razina M.P., Sheshunova I.V. Travmatologiya i ortopediya detskogo vozrasta: uchebnoye posobiye [Traumatology and orthopedics of children’s age: a textbook] M. GEOTAR-Media. 2016: 240 p. (In Russ.).
- Mansfield J.T., Bennett M. Scheuermann Disease. StatPearls Publishing. 2021.
- Langella F., Fusini F., Rossi G., Villafane J.H., Migliaccio N., Donzelli S., Berjano P. Spinal deformity and malocclusion association is not supported by high-quality studies: results from a systematic review of the literature. European Spine Journal. 2019; 28(7): 1638-1651. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-019-05896-4
- Vetrile M.S., Kuleshov A.A., Yes’kin N.A., Tsykunov M.B., Kokorev A.I., Pyzhevskaya O.P. Vertebrogennyy bolevoy sindrom u detey 9-17 let s deformatsi-yami pozvonochnika [Vertebrogenic pain syndrome in children aged 9-17 years with spinal deformities]. Orthopedics, Traumatology and Reconstructive Surgery of Children. 2019; 7(1): 5-14. https://doi.org/10.17816/PTORS715-14 (In Russ.).
- Gornayeva L.S. Yuvenil’nyy osteokhondroz, oslozhnennyy gryzhey mezhpozvonkovogo diska [Juvenile osteochondrosis complicated by a herniated intervertebral disc]. Bulletin of New Medical Technologies. Electronic publication. 2020; (2): 6-12. https://doi.org/10.24411/2075-4094-2020-16599 (In Russ.).
- Rumyantseva G.N., Vinogradov A.F., Rasskazov LV. Rol’ displazii soyedinitel’noy tkani v formirovanii khirurgicheskoy patologii v detskom vozraste (obzor literatury) [The role of connective tissue dysplasia in the formation of surgical pathology in childhood (literature review)]. Upper Volga Medical Journal. 2019; 18(3): 27-32 (In Russ.).
- Mansurova G.Sh., Mal’tsev S.V., Ryabchikov I.V. Osobennosti formirovaniya oporno-dvigatel’noy sistemy u shkol’nikov: zabolevaniya, prichiny i voz-mozhnyye puti korrektsii [Features of the formation of the musculoskeletal system in schoolchildren: diseases, causes and possible ways of correction]. Practical Medicine. 2019; 17(5): 51-55. https://doi.org/10.32000/2072-1757-2019-5-51-55 (In Russ.).
- Klinicheskiye rekomendatsii po lecheniyu bolezni Sheyyermanna-Mau. [Clinical recommendations for the treatment of Scheermann-Mau disease]. 2015: 60 p. (In Russ.).
- Pilipovich A.A. Lecheniye i profilaktika osteokhondroza [Treatment and prevention of osteochondrosis]. Medical Business. 2015; (2): 15-22 (In Russ.).
- Mohokum M., Schulein S., Skwara A. The Validity of Rasterstereography: A Systematic Review. Orthopedic Reviews (Pavia). 2015; 7(3): 5899 p. https://doi.org/10.4081/or.2015.5899
- Yun C., Shen C.L. Anterior release for Scheuermann’s disease: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. European Spine Journal. 2017; 26(3): 921927. https://doi.org/.1007/s00586-016-4632-z
- Prikaz MZ RF №878N o poryadke meditsinskoy reabilitatsii detey [Order of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation No. 878N on the procedure for medical rehabilitation of children] dated 23.10.19.
- Wilson D.J., de Abreu M. Spine Degeneration and Inflammation. Musculoskeletal Diseases 2021-2024: Diagnostic Imaging [Internet]. Cham (CH): Springer. 2021; (14).
- Yun C., Shen C.L. Anterior release for Scheuermann’s disease: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. European Spine Journal. 2017; 26(3): 921927. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-016-4632-z
- Khoreva N.Ye., Semenova Zh.B. Lecheniye gryzh mezhpozvonochnykh diskov poyasnichnogo otdela pozvonochnika u podrostkov i lits yunosheskogo vozrasta [Treatment of herniated discs of the lumbar spine in adolescents and adolescents]. Neurosurgery and Neurology of Children. 2018; (1): 56-59 (In Russ.).
- Huq S., Ehresman J., Cottrill E., Ahmed A.K., Pennington Z., Westbroek E.M., Sciubba D.M. Treatment approaches for Scheuermann kyphosis: a systematic review of historic and current management. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine. 2019; 32(2): 235-247. https://doi.org/10.3171/2019.8
- Lee C.H., Won Y.I., San Ko Y., Yang S.H., Kim C.H., Park S.B., Chung CK. Posterior-only versus combined anterior-posterior fusion in Scheuermann disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine. 2020: 1-9. https://doi.org/10.3171/2020.7.SPINE201062
- Yanik H.S., Ketenci I.E., Coskun T., Ulusoy A., Erdem S. Selection of distal fusion level in posterior instrumentation and fusion of Scheuermann kyphosis: is fusion to sagittal stable vertebra necessary? European Spine Journal. 2016; 25(2): 583-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-015-4123-7
- Gong Y., Yuan L., He M., Yu M., Zeng Y., Liu X., Chen Z. Comparison Between Stable Sagittal Vertebra and First Lordotic Vertebra Instrumentation for Prevention of Distal Junctional Kyphosis in Scheuermann Disease: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Clinical Spine Surgery. 2019; 32(8): 330-336. https://doi.org/10.1097/BSD.0000000000000792
- Maksimov A.V., Kir’yanova V.V. Magnitnaya terapiya v klinicheskoy praktike [Magnetic therapy in clinical practice]. Physiotherapy, Balneology and Rehabilitation. 2019; 18(6): 412-426 (In Russ.).
- Belaya kniga po fizicheskoy i reabilitatsionnoy meditsine (FRM) v Yevrope. Glava 7. Sfera klinicheskoy kompetentsii: FRM na praktike. Al’yans Yevropey-skikh organizatsiy po fizicheskoy i reabilitatsionnoy meditsine. [White Paper on Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (PRM) in Europe. Chapter 7. Scope of clinical competence: PRM in practice. Alliance of European Organizations for Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine]. Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Medical Rehabilitation. 2019; 1(1): 102-130. https://doi.org/10.23736/S1973-9087.18.05151-1 (In Russ.).
- Prikaz MZ RF ot 28 sentyabrya 2020 g. № 1029n «Ob utverzhdenii perechney meditsinskikh pokazaniy i protivopokazaniy dlya sanatorno-kurortnogo lecheniya» [Ministry of health order dated September 28, 2020 No. 1029н “On approval of the list of medical indications and contraindications for Spa treatment”]. (In Russ.).
- Lyubchik V.N., Kurganova A.V., Ozerov I.A. Analiz blizhayshikh rezul’tatov sanatorno-kurortnoy reabilitatsii detey s bolezn’yu Sheyyermanna-Mau [ Analysis of the immediate results of sanatorium-resort rehabilitation of children with Sheyermann-Mau disease]. Bulletin of Physiotherapy and Balneology. 2016; 22(1): 28-33 (In Russ.).