Special Features in Physical Rehabilitation Program Compiling during Primary Prosthetics in Patients with Traumatic Amputation of the Lower Limb
1,2 Denis D. Bolotov
1 Federal Bureau of Medical and Social Expertise, Moscow, Russian Federation
2 Russian Medical Academy of Continuing Professional Education, Moscow, Russian Federation
Patients with traumatic amputations of the lower limbs have a number of typical dysfunctions and complications. Optimal results ofprosthetics are achieved when the quality of the stump formation corresponds to the capabilities of the prosthesis and an adequaterehabilitation program in terms of goals and objectives. At the same time, the rehabilitation program affects both the quality of theformation of the stump and the functional reserves of the body, which ultimately affects the choice of prosthesis joints.Aim. To clarify the approaches on making up physical rehabilitation programs, taking into account the prevention and correction ofcomplications.Medical rehabilitation expert diagnostics is both the basis in compiling rehabilitation programs, allowing to achieve their personalizednature, and an assessment tool of rehabilitation measures effectiveness. Counseling is an important preparatory part of therehabilitation program for prosthetics, the theoretical foundations for the prevention of complications for the disabled.Prosthesis manufacturing. When knowing prosthesis manufacturing stages, it is possible to create conditions for the most completeadaptation in the prosthesis-limb-organism system both in the short and long term periods. Preparation of a limb for prosthetics oftenone of the longest, occupying and significant sections of preparation for the restoration of static-dynamic function, associated with thelargest number of complications; where the use of physical rehabilitation technologies allows the prevention and correction of suchcomplications. Preparatory work in accordance with the general algorithm for conducting rehabilitation measures, taking into accountthe individual characteristics of the patient, the continuity and regularity of rehabilitation measures allows to achieve the greatestpossible result.Teaching the use of the prosthesis. Starting from the sequential mastering of all the basic elements with the subsequent transition toperforming complex coordinated movements with the help of the prosthesis and only then working out the walking options directlyon the prosthesis, allows to master the correct technique from the outset. It means that training to master walking on a prosthesis canalso be represented as a sequence, an algorithm of actions. Stepping away from the required sequence may lead to the appearance andconsolidation of irrational patterns when walking, which in turn is fraught with a violation of the correct walking pattern, an increase inits energy intensity and pronounced difficulties in its correction in the future.Conclusion. The complication prevention in the implementation of prosthetics with the help of physical rehabilitation is based primarilyon the observance of a clear algorithm of sequential actions in conjunction with an individualized selection of rehabilitation means.
Keywords: traumatic amputations of the lower limbs, prevention of complications, preventive technologies, therapeutic exercises, walking restoration
For citation: Bolotov D.D. Special Features in Physical Rehabilitation Program Compiling during Primary Prosthetics in Patients with Traumatic Amputation of the Lower Limb. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2022; 21(2): 27-36. https://doi.org/10.38025/2078-1962-2022-21-2-27-36
- Bolotov D.D., Yudin V.E., Amendment S.N., Starikov S.M. Prioritetnyye problemy patsiyentov s amputatsiyami v rezul’tate travmaticheskogo otchleneniya nizhnikh konechnostey [Priority problems of patients with amputations as a result of traumatic amputation of the lower extremities].
- Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2016; 3(73): 52–57 (In Russ.).
- Mazaev M.S., Malchevsky V.A., Petrov S.A. Itogi aprobatsii kompleksnoy sistemy otsenki rezul’tatov reabilitatsionnykh meropriyatiy, u patsiyentov s amputatsionnymi kul’tyami bedra, prozhivayushchikh v usloviyakh Severa i Kraynego Severa [Results of approbation of a comprehensive system for assessing the results of rehabilitation measures in patients with amputated femoral stumps living in the North and the Far North]. Fundamental research. 2014; 4(3): 556–559 (In Russ.).
- Geiling J., Rosen J.M., Edwards R.D. Medical costs of war in 2035: long-term care challenges for veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan. Military Medicine. 2012; 177(11): 1235–44. https://doi.org/10.7205/milmed-d-12-00031
- Baumgartner R., Botta P. Amputatsiya i protezirovaniye nizhnikh konechnostey [Amputation and prosthetics of the lower extremities]. Moscow.
- Medicine. 2002: 504 p. (In Russ.).
- Buylova T.V., Bolotov D.D. Organizatsiya protsessa reabilitatsii patsiyentov s amputatsiyami konechnostey s pozitsii sovremennoy kont- septsii fizicheskoy i reabilitatsionnoy meditsiny [Organization of the process of rehabilitation of patients with limb amputations from the standpoint of the modern concept of physical and rehabilitation medicine]. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020; 96(2): 7–12. https://doi.org/10.38025/2078-1962-2020-96-2-7-12 (In Russ.)
- Kurdybailo S.F., Gerasimova G.V. Lechebnaya fizicheskaya kul’tura posle amputatsii konechnostey i pri zabolevaniyakh oporno-dvigatel’noy sistemy! [Therapeutic physical culture after amputation of limbs and in diseases of the musculoskeletal system]. Saint Petersburg. 2004: 268 p. (In Russ.).
- Elias J.A., Morgenroth D.C. Amputee care education in physical medicine and rehabilitation residency programs. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2013; 92(2): 157–62 (In Russ.).
- Bolotov D.D., Rusakevich A.P., Starikov S.M. Otsenka tolerantnosti k fizicheskoy nagruzke u patsiyentov s amputatsionnymi defektami nizhnikh konechnostey [Assessment of exercise tolerance in patients with amputation defects of the lower extremities]. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2019; 90(2): 29–34 (In Russ.).
- Kurdybailo S.F., Evseev S.P., Gerasimova G.V. Vrachebnyy kontrol’ v adaptivnoy fizicheskoy kul’ture [Medical control in adaptive physical culture].
- Sovetskiy sport. Moscow. 2004: 184 p. (In Russ.).
- Evseev S.P., Kurdybailo S.F. Fizicheskaya reabilitatsiya invalidov s porazheniyem oporno-dvigatel’noy sistemy [Physical rehabilitation of disabled people with lesions of the musculoskeletal system]. Sovetskiy sport. Moscow. 2010: 488 p. (In Russ.).
- Bolotov D.D., Dymochka M.A., Lavrova D.I., Spivak B.G. Ekspertno-reabilitatsionnaya diagnostika bol’nykh s patologiyey oporno-dvigatel’nogo appa- rata [Expert-rehabilitation diagnostics of patients with pathology of the musculoskeletal system]. Moscow. GBOU DPO RMAPO. 2011: 32 p. (In Russ.).
- Smychek V.B. Reabilitatsiya bol’nykh i invalidov [Rehabilitation of the sick and disabled]. M. Meditsinskaya literatura. 2009: 560 p. (In Russ.).
- Tsykunov M.B. Shkaly otsenki narusheniy pri patologii oporno-dvigatel’noy sistemy s ispol’zovaniyem kategoriy mezhdunarodnoy klassifikatsii funktsionirovaniya (diskussiya) [Scales for assessing disorders in the pathology of the musculoskeletal system using the categories of the interna- tional classification of functioning (discussion)]. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2019; (2): 2–12 (In Russ.).
- http://cqcounter.com/www/interbor.org.html. (accessed 22.02.2022).
- Bolotov D.D., Andrianov O.V., Shakhsuvaryan S.B. Ustroystvo dlya massazha [Massage device]. Utility model patent RU 143983 U1, 10.08.2014. Appli- cation 2014114140.14 dated 04.10.2014. (In Russ.).
- Bolotov D.D., Kheifits V.G., Starikov S.M. Primeneniye metodov refleksoterapii pri fantomnom bolevom sindrome u patsiyentov s amputatsionnymi kul’tyami nizhnikh konechnostey [The use of reflexology methods for phantom pain syndrome in patients with amputation stumps of the lower extremities]. Bulletin of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2015; 67(3): 15–18 (In Russ.).
- Gnezdilov A.V. Diagnostika i lecheniye fantomnogo i vertebrogennogo bolevykh sindromov:… Diss, Dokt. [Diagnosis and treatment of phantom and vertebrogenic pain syndromes:… Diss, Doct.]. Moscow. 1999: 22 p. (In Russ.). 18. Cohen S. Postamputation pain. Pain Practice. 2009; 9(1): 14–15.
- Flor H. Phantom limb pain: characteristics, causes and treatment. Lancet Neurology. 2002; (1): 182–189.
- Bolotov D.D., Dymochka M.A., Pirozhkova T.A., Zakharova Ya.N., Romanova M.V., Yarygin N.V. «Shkola» khod’by na proteze [“School” of walking on a prosthesis]. Moscow. FGBOU VO MGMSU. 2020: 140 p. (In Russ.).
- Vitenzon A.S., Ivanov A.M., Gritsenko G.P., Petrushanskaya K.A. Reabilitatsiya invalidov s kul’tey bedra posredstvom programmiruyemoy elektro- stimulyatsii myshts pri khod’be [Rehabilitation of disabled people with a femoral stump through programmable electrical muscle stimulation when walking]. Zerkalo-M. Moscow. 2001: 176 p. (In Russ.).